• Skip to main content
  • Skip to secondary menu
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer
  • Advice/Information
  • About DNS
  • Subscribe to DNS
  • Advertise with DNS
  • Support DNS
  • Contact DNS

Disability News Service

the country's only news agency specialising in disability issues

  • Home
  • Independent Living
    • Arts, Culture and Sport
    • Crime
    • Education
    • Employment
    • Housing
    • Transport
  • Activism & Campaigning
  • Benefits & Poverty
  • Politics
  • Human Rights
You are here: Home / Benefits and Poverty / Jobcentre tells claimant with bowel condition to ‘use bucket we keep behind the building’
The outside of a jobcentre

Jobcentre tells claimant with bowel condition to ‘use bucket we keep behind the building’

By John Pring on 23rd September 2021 Category: Benefits and Poverty

Listen

A jobcentre security guard told a disabled man with a chronic bowel condition that he was not allowed to use the staff toilets, but that there was a bucket that was kept behind the building “for claimants to use”.

AJ* had asked security staff at the jobcentre in London if he could use the toilet facilities because he has limited control over his bowel.

They initially told him to use the toilets at a nearby station, but he said he would not be able to reach it in time.

He even showed the guards the 14-inch scar from a major operation that had left him with no stomach muscles to control his bowel, and which runs from his belly button to his neck, but he was told there were no exceptions to the rule.

AJ, who is on the waiting-list for further major surgery on his bowel, said the guard appeared to be “deadly serious”.

He said: “He even gave me directions. I was so ashamed to be told that I had to go to the loo in a bucket.”

Appalled by the “terrible” attitude he encountered, he found a nearby café and bought himself a coffee – which he was unable to drink because of his health condition – so he could use the toilet facilities, before returning to the jobcentre for his appointment.

It later emerged that the guard had been mocking AJ, and there was no bucket in the location he had directed him to and no way to access the back of the building.

The incident is only the latest example of a culture of contempt for benefit claimants within the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) that stretches back over the last decade.

It was highlighted most recently by evidence that emerged during January’s inquest into the death of Philippa Day, which included a DWP telephone agent admitting that she had failed to take any safeguarding action after the young disabled woman told her, sobbing, that she was cold, starving, and needed “a reason to live”.

And in April, Disability News Service (DNS) reported new research which showed how DWP staff and managers admitted that colleagues had deliberately inflicted psychological harm on benefit claimants, engaged in unofficial sanctioning targets, and pushed disabled people into work despite the risk to their health.

AJ told DNS that he believed the incident with the security guard, on Tuesday, demonstrated the cultural problems within the department, although he said his work coach had later been “very helpful” and supportive.

The network engineer was one of the hundreds of thousands of people who began claiming universal credit for the first time during the coronavirus pandemic.

In his case, he had to close his IT business because the lockdown meant so many people were working from home.

But despite needing the financial support from universal credit to survive, he is now reluctant to return to the jobcentre because of the way he was treated.

He said: “I am at the point where I don’t want to go back there. I am really distressed about it.”

DWP said yesterday (Wednesday) that the accessible toilet at the jobcentre had previously not been open to the public, due to COVID-19 guidance, but that the security guard had wrongly told AJ that it was not currently in use.

DWP denied that AJ was advised to use a bucket and said it was not possible for claimants or staff to access the back of the building, but that the jobcentre would apologise to AJ and discuss the incident.

A DWP spokesperson said in a statement: “We apologise to [AJ] who was wrongly told that the disabled facilities were not in use.

“Updated guidance has been issued to [the] jobcentre.

“The only alternative option [AJ] was offered were nearby railway station facilities.”

AJ told DNS yesterday that he had now received a call from the security guard, who apologised for the incident, blamed his comments on “problems with drug addicts” and promised to let him use the toilet next time he visited the jobcentre.

AJ said it appeared that the guard had invented the bucket and had been “taking the piss out of disabled people”.

*He has asked for his name not to be used.

 

A note from the editor:

Please consider making a voluntary financial contribution to support the work of DNS and allow it to continue producing independent, carefully-researched news stories that focus on the lives and rights of disabled people and their user-led organisations.

Please do not contribute if you cannot afford to do so, and please note that DNS is not a charity. It is run and owned by disabled journalist John Pring and has been from its launch in April 2009.

Thank you for anything you can do to support the work of DNS…

Share this post:

Share on X (Twitter)Share on FacebookShare on WhatsAppShare on RedditShare on LinkedIn

Tags: Accessible toilets benefit claimants DWP jobcentre social security

Image of front cover of The Department, showing a crinkled memo with the words ‘Restricted - Policy. The Department. How a Violent Government Bureaucracy Killed Hundreds and Hid the Evidence. John Pring.’ Next to the image is a red box with the following words in white: ‘A very interesting book... a very important contribution to this whole debate’ - Sir Stephen Timms, minister for social security and disability. plutobooks.com and the Pluto Press logo.

Related

Call for inquiry over deaths of parents driven to despair by DWP’s Child Maintenance Service
14th August 2025
Hundreds sign letter calling for ‘urgent’ action to stop Access to Work burn-outs and breakdowns
14th August 2025
Tory minister chose Capita director to carry out secret review of DWP deaths
7th August 2025

Primary Sidebar

On the left of the image are multiple heads of different colours - white, aqua, red, light brown, and dark green - all grouped together, then the words ‘Campaign for Disability Justice. Sign up to support. #OpportunitySecurityRespect’
Image of front cover of The Department, showing a crinkled memo with the words 'Restricted - Policy. The Department. How a Violent Government Bureaucracy Killed Hundreds and Hid the Evidence. John Pring.' Next to the image is a red box with the following words in white: 'A very interesting book... a very important contribution to this whole debate' - Sir Stephen Timms, minister for social security and disability. plutobooks.com and the Pluto Press logo.

Access

Latest Stories

Call for inquiry over deaths of parents driven to despair by DWP’s Child Maintenance Service

Letter to minister issues 10 ‘basic’ demands on rail accessibility

Hundreds sign letter calling for ‘urgent’ action to stop Access to Work burn-outs and breakdowns

Solicitor who betrayed disabled people after they sought discrimination justice is struck off

Council that oversaw increase in care home admissions is first to be rated ‘inadequate’ on social care

Disabled people still struggling to pay care workers, a month after payment company’s tech failure

M&S settles ‘David and Goliath’ legal case after installing inaccessible doors to chiller cabinets

Tory minister chose Capita director to carry out secret review of DWP deaths

Tory peer wrote secret report calling for DWP to reduce suicides and other ‘very bad cases’

Minister’s comments add fuel to Access to Work concerns

Readspeaker
Image of front cover of The Department, showing a crinkled memo with the words 'Restricted - Policy. The Department. How a Violent Government Bureaucracy Killed Hundreds and Hid the Evidence. John Pring.' Next to the image is a red box with the following words in white: 'A very interesting book... a very important contribution to this whole debate' - Sir Stephen Timms, minister for social security and disability. plutobooks.com and the Pluto Press logo.

Footer

The International Standard Serial Number for Disability News Service is: ISSN 2398-8924

  • Accessibility Statement
  • Privacy Policy
  • Site map
  • Bluesky
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn
  • Threads
  • Twitter

Copyright © 2025 Disability News Service

Site development by A Bright Clear Web